Pages

Friday, March 29, 2013

Newborn Essentials

Since having a baby I seem to have no memory-one reason I started this blog...so I can go back and read about what I've forgotten.  I have been compiling a list of my must haves and favorite baby items so I can make sure to replace anything that gets damaged or destroyed by the time we have another child.
Mom Essentials:

-Wet Wipes (favorite)
-Dermoplast 
-Lanolin free nipple cream (favorite)
-Sleep bra (they don't make the ones I bought from Target anymore, UGH)
-Nursing bras (Target also doesn't carry the ones I got anymore, double UGH)
-Nursing pads (fave disposable washable fave washable)
*Some of you may think washable nursing pads are gross, but they aren't.  Also, since I had to start   using them at 20 weeks in my pregnancy, I was spending a lot of money in disposables!
-Nursing tanks (favorite)
-Nursing Cover (I'm not comfortable nursing in public but I use this at my mom's a lot)
-Breast Pump

Baby Essentials:

-Garanimals Blanket (these were great when Patrick was too small for an actually swaddle blanket because they were super stretchy)
-Swaddle Blankets
-Side Snap Tees (we loved theses in short sleeve and long instead of the onesies, it made diaper changing much easier)
-Gowns (Another garment that makes diaper changes so much easier and faster)
-Sleepers with fold over hands
-Rock 'n Play Sleeper
-Boppy Pillow
-Organic Sheet Savers (similar) My sister in law let us borrow a bunch of these to put in the crib, Rock N Play Sleeper, on the changing table, etc. I'm not sure what brand they are but they are awesome! If your baby pees or poops and it makes a mess, most times it's not big enough to leak through the sheet saver so you just have to wash it instead of everything! 
-Dr. Brown Bottles (this is the only bottle I've ever tried but I like them)
-Car Seat Cover (this is a must for winter born babies and has been a life saver for us)
-Bottle drying rack (Stephen picked this one out and I love it, I use it for items other than baby bottles)
-Sound Machine (Patrick likes the rain and ocean settings and sleeps with this on every night)
-Coconut Oil (Trader Joe's is the cheapest around) I love to rub this all over Patrick after his bath, especially his dry scalp. Makes him so soft and smells amazing!
-Gas Drops (I buy generic brand but these are another life saver, Patrick is SOOO gassy)
-Baby Carrier  -So far the Ergo Carrier has been my favorite. My sister in law let me borrow her Moby wrap and it is great too but I find it difficult to get on and off in the car.  But a carrier of some sort is a must for going to the grocery or other places that you can't take a stroller. 


Items To Forget:

Every baby is different so perhaps our next one will like these things but Patrick hated them, at least so far....

-Mamaroo (My sister-in-law let us borrow this but Patrick HATED IT)
-Swing (My other sister-in-law let us borrow this swing and although Patrick liked it for the first 2 weeks of life, he hated it every since so we returned it as well)
-Pacifier
     **Patrick has never taken a paci longer than 5 minutes and although some have said this is a blessing, I'm not so sure. He's had several fussy fits that if he would just suck on the pacifier I think he would have calmed right down) *At 16 weeks Patrick did start liking this one but only on a few occasions would he take it longer than 5 minutes. He took a few naps with it, sometimes it would be out when I woke him and once he kept it in the whole time. My fear is that if he grows dependent on it he will wake up during the night if it falls out and cry until it's replaced.  That's not really a habit I want him to pick up, but so far I've never allowed him to have it at night, he's never needed it.  The jury is still out on the pacifier...

Since we are still in the early ages I'm sure this list will grow and change but I'm going to try to keep it updated.

***A HUGE thank you to my sister in law, Britney for allowing us to borrow all her baby stuff! She basically provided Patrick with a wardrobe (super cute wardrobe to be exact), toys, & baby essentials.  Thanks to her we have been able to try out the coolest/newest baby items and didn't have buyers remorse for the items that Patrick hasn't liked.  That being said, if you have someone to borrow things from...DO IT! Even if you can only borrow it for a short amount of time to see if your baby likes an item before purchasing, it will be worth it.  You can spend a fortune in baby items and your baby may not even like half of them! For example, I know 4 people that resold their Mamaroo and they didn't even get half of what they paid for it :( Or another gal I know has purchased 3 different baby carriers because her sweet girl didn't like the first two she got. 



No comments:

Post a Comment