Motherhood has been full of great surprises and new experiences. One big surprise for me was how much joy I've gotten out of others enjoying my baby. I had heard and even experienced other new moms not wanting to "share" their babies with others. Ya know, a new mom who doesn't want others to hold or snuggle or keep their babies. Well, when I was pregnant I kinda' felt that once Patrick was born I would be one of those moms. I just thought I would have a hard time sharing him, that I'd want to hold him 24/7 and not allow anyone else to enjoy the sweetness of MY baby! But a funny thing happened when Patrick was born and I found that I wasn't that kind of mom.
 |
| Moments after Patrick's birth |
I missed the first 8 hours of Patrick's life because he had to be in an oxygen hood because he was having a hard time breathing and getting enough oxygen due to the amount of fluid he swallowed while being born. And once we were finally reunited I did want to snuggle and hold my sweet boy but I was also completely exhausted! I had given birth and then spent 8 horrible hours just worrying and wanting my baby. When he was finally brought to me, I nursed him and did a little kangaroo time and handed him over to Daddy. I was completely exhausted physically and emotionally and so was Stephen for that matter and we all needed some rest.
 |
| Reunited |
You would think since I didn't get to spend those first hours with my boy that I would have been even more selfish and not wanted anyone else to hold him or love on him. However, I couldn't wait for all our family and friends to see our sweet angel and HOLD and LOVE on him! Each person that came to visit us while we were in the hospital and once we got home held and kissed on my boy and I just loved it! I loved seeing others get joy from Patrick and knowing he had so many people in his life that adored him and wanted to be a part of his journey, just makes me so happy. Looking to his future and just imagining some of the moments he will have with family makes me smile: going fishing with my brother and dad, golfing with Stephen and his dad, running around my mom's house playing hide and seek, these thoughts bring a HUGE smile to my face.
 |
| My Maternal Grandparents with Patrick |
 |
| My dad with Patrick |
 |
| Steve's Dad and nephew, Eli with Patrick |
 |
| My mom and Step Dad with Patrick |
 |
| Aunt Britney (my sister in law) & Patrick |
 |
| Aunt Jackie (my mom's sister) & Patrick |
 |
| Steve's mom & Patrick |
 |
| Aunt Donna (my mom's sister), Uncle Darryl & Patrick |
Seeing others delight in Patrick has been such a huge blessing to me and I am so excited to see how he will bring them joy in the future. I'm glad I wasn't one of those "selfish" mamas, although I can relate to them. Maybe it's because I'm home with him every day and although I still feel I can't get enough of him, that time is just flying by I get more time with him than anyone else. Poor Stephen has to go to work every day and constantly reminds me how much he misses by being gone so much. When I am away from Patrick (if my mom keeps him for a few hours so I can get errands done or my hair done) I feel really odd and like something is missing and I can't wait to see my boy again. But, for the most part I think I've been pretty good at "sharing" my boy and I'm so glad it's been easy for me to allow others to pour out love on my sweet boy.
No comments:
Post a Comment